Saturday, July 16th, 2016
- Wake up at 4:30am to catch a 7am plane to Valencia
- Arrive in Valencia at 8:30am
- Straight to the beach!! We grabbed some bocadillos on the way and just enjoyed a relaxing morning on the beaches of Spain and swimming in the Mediterranean Sea!
- We grabbed lunch: paella! Paella originates in Valencia so that was pretty cool.
- Then walked around the city. We saw Plaza de Ayuntamiento, Plaza de la Reina, and Catedral de Valencia.
- Got dinner at a fantastic Italian restaurant and saw the Church of St. Augustine before going to bed after a 20 hour day!
Sunday, July 17th, 2016
- City of Arts and Sciences: a very important spot in Valencia! We didn’t have time to go inside, but I did get to try water balling, a technique for training astronauts for walking in zero gravity.
- We walked through the Tura River Gardens, a park that is in place of an old river that used to go around the city.
- After lunch: walked around the city more and finally climbed 227 steps to the top of El Miguelete for a 360 degree view of the city!
- After a delayed flight and a long trip home, I finally got to sleep.
Monday, July 18th – Wednesday, July 20, 2016
- A lot of homework and recovering from the weekend!
- On Monday night I did go to a bachata/salsa/merengue dance class at a club in Madrid that was SO MUCH FUN! I had an absolute blast and I can’t wait to find places in the States were I can dance!
- Wednesday night my host mom taught me how to make tortilla con patatas…a very traditional Spanish dish!
Thursday, July 21, 2016
- So I finally took my day off and finished up some sight seeing I wanted to do with Tori.
- Temple of Debod: a very cool ancient Egyptian temple up on a hill in Madrid with a gorgeous view of the city. I am so glad that I went here during my time in the city.
- Then lots of shopping in Principe Pio, a cool old train station that has been converted into a mall. Also, it is the home of my favorite dried fruit stand in all of Europe.
- It was a very relaxing and fun day! I loved getting to take a break and I can’t believe how much of my trip is already over!
It was a really fun week and I will be posting about my trip to Lisbon, Portugal in the next post! Stay tuned!